Effective Date, December 31 2017
The Berkeley Institute for Islamic Studies values our visitors’ personal information – both as donors and non-donors – and understands the importance of security and trust in relation to such information.
If you choose to make a donation through BLIIS.org, we will require some personal information from you which includes your name, contact information, and payment information. BLIIS may contact you to discuss the terms of your donation, and/or to invite you to donate again to the Berkeley Institute for Islamic Studies.
A user’s browser may offer tools to reject or delete cookies but if they are rejected, the cookies on the user’s browser may limit the user’s usage of the site. If the user’s browser rejects cookies, other technologies may be used to collect data.
Communications from the Website
If you provide your contact information, including by subscribing to our electronic newsletter(s) we will use your email address to send the requested newsletters. BLIIS may also send emails notifying you of other newsletters and updates that may be of interest to you. If a donation is made by you through the Website, you may be contacted for our improvement purposes using the email address that you provide.
Information Collection, Sharing and Disclosure
BLIIS and its service providers may use various technologies to collect data automatically about your use of our Website. This automatically-collected data is used for the site’s operational purposes such as to administer and improve its overall content and operations. These technologies are also used to personalize the user’s experience with BLIIS and to provide functions such as storing password. The technologies that are used may include, for example:
- Log Files, which may collect information such as Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, geographic location, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and clickstream data.
- Persistent and session cookies.
- Flash cookies(or local stored objects), which are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Web beacons, which may be embedded in our Website or used in HTML-based emails and newsletters to help measure the effectiveness of our electronic communications.
BLIIS may sometimes share aggregated demographic information about its user base with selected third-party partners. It may also share de-identified information at its discretion. This aggregated or de-identified information does not identify individual users.
Non-Donor Personal Information
BLIIS may disclose non-donor personal information that it collects in the following ways:
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, agents, or service providers that we use to support our business and provide our services, in which case we make reasonable efforts to ensure that they are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use or share it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- As part of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of BLIIS’ assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by BLIIS about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information or with your consent.
- As required by law; when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, property, or safety of BLIIS, our donors or others; and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process served on the Berkeley Institute for Islamic Studies.
Donors Personal Information Protection
BLIIS will not trade, share or sell a donor’s personal information to anyone else, nor send donor mailings on behalf of other organizations, unless it has the donor’s specific permission to do so.
Links to Other Sites
This website contains links to other sites that are not owned or controlled by the Berkeley Institute for Islamic Studies. BLIIS is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other sites.
The security of the user’s personal information is pivotal for BLIIS. The Berkeley Institute for Islamic Studies uses safeguards or protections for the security of the users’ and donor’s personal information. For example, BLIIS may encrypt information using technologies such as SSL certificates on the site (Secure Sockets Layer).
Terms and Conditions
Please also visit BLIIS’ Terms and Conditions section establishing the use, disclaimers, and limitations of liability governing the use of our website at https://bliis.org/about/terms-and-conditions.
Changes in this Privacy Statement
The Berkeley Institute for Islamic Studies
2425 Channing Way Ste B #302
Berkeley, California 94704